Determine if the following statements are true or false. The correct answers appear below.
1. Children should always wear helmets while skiing, snowboarding, sledding, and skating.
2. Before kids go out, they must don properly fitting warm clothes, goggles or wraparound sunglasses, and gloves or mittens.
3. If your kids are going sledding, it’s wise to check out their sled path beforehand.
4. Make your own judgment call when it comes to letting your kids skate on icy surfaces.
1. True. Research has shown skiing and snowboarding head injuries could be prevented or made less severe with helmet use.
2. True. Skiers and snowboarders should also wear wrist guards to reduce the risk for broken bones.
3. True. Stay clear of obstacles like trees, poles, or benches. Ensure that the path doesn’t lead to streets or highways, either.
4. False. Children should only skate on surfaces approved by police or recreation departments. They should also heed all warning signs about ice conditions.